Exclusive Offer 50% Off One Month Of Unlimited Classes
The Bar Method – Safe, Smart & Personal
Founder Burr Leonard, an avid lover of ballet and jazz classes, discovered the Lotte Berk Method while living in New York in 1981. She became a devoted student and noticed an incredible transformation in her body. Burr dreamed of creating her own version of the exercise technique that would empower women of all ages and physical abilities to build beautiful, lean, toned and healthy bodies for life. Working side-by-side with a team of physical therapists Burr honed the method to make it safer for the joints and to more effectively target the muscles. She added wisdom from her father George Leonard’s book “Mastery” to create a teaching system that would empower students to make lasting changes to their bodies and their lives outside the classroom. The product of her passionate work created The Bar Method that we know today.
Our mission is to empower women to be the best version of themselves by creating highly efficient, full-body workouts that build inner and outer strength, grace and poise.
The Bar Method technique stands apart because it is safe, smart and personal. It was created under the guidance of physical therapists to ensure it is safe and effective for students spanning a wide range of abilities including those with physical limitations and injuries.
How is The Bar Method Safe?
- Every Bar Method studio is covered with high quality carpet and a ¾” gymnastics pad underneath, providing a cushion to protect your feet and minimize the pressure on your joints as you perform the exercises and stretches.
- Every Bar Method studio is equipped with props such as exercise balls, riser mats and straps to assist in modifications for students with pre-existing injuries, limitations or pre-partum & post-partum conditions. The Bar Method workout is versatile and designed with every unique body in mind.
- Unlike other barre workouts, our instructors undergo a lengthy and rigorous training that includes lessons of anatomy and hands-on adjustments. Annual certification exams ensure the highest standards are upheld across the entire teaching community.
How is The Bar Method Smart?
- Every Bar Method class starts with a warm-up, upper-body exercises and push-ups in the middle of the room, followed by a sequence of leg and seat work at the barre and core exercises on the floor. While each class is unique, the method follows a consistent sequence to work the right muscles in the right order, in order to maximize results.
- The Bar Method focuses on precise isometric exercises (small movements and holds) to keep students working “in the muscle,” followed by active and passive stretching to lengthen and elongate the area just worked.
- The Bar Method targets all major muscle groups, alternating between the front and the back of the body. The unique exercises keep students working long and intensely enough to transform and sculpt the muscles.
How is The Bar Method Personal?
- Our students receive personalized adjustments, modifications and encouragement from instructors to get the most out of every workout.
- We strive to get to know our clients physical and interpersonal goals in an effort to support and collaborate with them to achieve transformational results. The Bar Method is more than just a workout, it’s a community that has the ability to positively impact your life.
- Our clients, instructors and owners range in age, background and body type but are connected in mindset; all are motivated, hard-working, passionate about wellness and strive to live a fulfilled life.
Renew your strength, refresh your mind and reshape your body with The Bar Method. Find a studio near you!